Sunday, December 23rd
Last night they killed two of the pigs to eat today. Hearing that was a little more "local" than I was prepared for! I've tried to stay away from where they've been cleaning the pigs today. I did see the head being carried off by a girl though. She seemed happy and excited, so I think she was glad to get the head! I was glad she was getting it! :)
It's been a little overwhelming how different it all is. I told Davie that I think I spent so much time planning on getting here and thinking about what it would be like when I left by myself that I didn't spend much time thinking about what it would actually be like once I got here. I feel a little like an insect in a jar. Everyone seems to be watching everything I do! I could just be imagining things, since I do feel out of place and like I stand out like a sore thumb as it is, so maybe they really aren't watching. Everyone is nice, I just feel like a fish out of water a little.
I did try the outdoor shower today. Davie's mom really wanted me to bathe - maybe I smelled. :) It was very cold!! But by the end it wasn't so bad. I didn't wash my hair though. I'm not quite ready for that much time outside with cold water.
It's absolutely beautiful here though. And everyone seems laid back and less stressed. It is a holiday, so I'm sure that helps. But it seems like people here are less about what they can get next and more about just living and being happy with what they have.
It's really funny. I think it's around 65 or 70 here with a really nice breeze. Davie and I are very comfortable but everyone else acts like its freezing!! They've literally been wearing sweaters that we brought while Davie and I are in short sleeves and shorts. It cracks me up. I'm loving this weather!
Eduardo is adorable and very well behaved. It's been a little confusing because everyone calls him Davie and now there are two Davies and my Davie and I are calling him Eduardo and I think no one really knows who is talking to who. We'll have to figure that out. Davie's mom calls Eduardo Davito, which is little Davie, so that's what I've been trying to use too.
The toys have been a big hit. I had Eduardo wait until Christmas to open the wrapped items, so I'll let you know then how much he liked it all. I'm sure he'll love it!
We went to a bar down the street tonight and that was better. I was able to talk with the people there and I felt less out of place. It's going well, I think!
I'm sad that I'm not sure when I'll be able to post this, but hopefully it'll be soon!
This is posted on Monday morning. I am glad as it seemed a long time since we heard from you. Enjoying your blog. Almost seems like we are there too.
ReplyDelete