Thursday, May 30, 2013

Bus food (5/29/13)

It's amazing the things they sell on buses here. So far this trip they've had:

- chicken sandwiches (that was a first, we didn't try those)
- "fruit salad" that came in a plastic sandwich bag and looked like chunks of fruit in juice. People ate it by biting off a corner and sucking it out the hole. Lots of things are eaten or drunk out of little plastic bags here. 
- caramel
- hamburger and rice empanadas that were twice the size of what I normally see for an empanada. It was ten pesos (less than 50 cents) and it was GOOD! And still really hot. I think they were fresh from the fryer / oven / whatever. 
- apples
- mango slices
- chicken taquitos that they call tacos. I like those a lot. 
- different types of bread / cracker things
- some green fruit that Davie likes that tasted kind of like an apple, but not quite
- water, soda, juice
- 20 pesos got us a fried chicken leg with rice and a tortilla. Also yummy. I've eaten a lot of fried chicken this trip.  
- ice cream in a cup. Looked like maybe Neapolitan. 
- homemade potato chips for ten pesos
- some sort of candy that I hadn't seen before. It was either hard candy or marshmallow. It was big like a marshmallow but looked like it would be hard. I guess it could have been taffy maybe. Davie didn't know either. 
- some cross between a corn tortilla and a pancake that came with the cualjada cheese for ten pesos. I thought it would be warm and it wasn't, but it was still good. Sweet. I liked it. 
- corn on the cob
- mini tamales

I never thought I would eat a chicken leg out of a plastic bag with rice and like it, but the bus vendors definitely know what they are doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment