Saturday, November 1, 2014

Happy Halloween

Before I get into our Halloween celebrations, I forgot the best part of the story of getting our fingerprints on Thursday. The lawyer gave Davie the temporary papers giving us residency and said to go get our fingerprints taken. (I don't actually know why we had to get fingerprints or what they'll do with them, but it's part of the residency process so we did what we were told!) She didn't say we would need anything else, but of course we got there and it turns out we needed a copy of Kaylynn's birth certificate, which I had been meaning to put in my fancy multiple passport holder I just got but hadn't yet, and passport sized pictures of ourselves. Getting a copy of Kaylynn's birth certificate ended up being a hassle, but we got it done. The funny part was the passport pictures. When we told the security guard at the entrance to the fingerprinting office that we didn't have the pictures, we were pointed to the end of the building where a guy was sitting on an empty spool that probably held wire or something once upon a time. He had a small portable photo printer set up and took our pictures for 2,000 colones each (around $8 total) and we got six pics each. We took turns sitting on the spool and he took our pictures with the white wall of the building as the back drop. All I could think was - only in Costa Rica would this be normal! It was pretty funny, I thought!

Yesterday Eduardo had two play dates - it was a teacher research day so no school. So Melissa from school dropped her boys off around 10 for pool time and then LuzMari, the other mainly Spanish speaking student in Eduardo's class, came over around 11:30 and stayed until 6:30. It was a big day for Eduardo! I think it rubbed off on Kaylynn some and she ended up not taking a nap most of the late afternoon / evening so that when it came time for bed she had a total meltdown. Note to self: don't let her go six hours without a nap!! Mom fail! :)

I got it in my head around 7 that she should try her costume on. It didn't go over well. :) Melissa the photographer gave us the tiger costume as she has a son who is two and a September baby. They had gotten the costume from her friend who also has a September baby. I'm very glad she thought of us and brought it to us when she came to do Kaylynn's newborn pics. I wouldn't have bought a costume otherwise and it really was so cute, even with the tears! Eduardo was Hulk. Davie did a really good job cutting up / tearing a shirt and pants for the costume. 




Today Melissa the photographer invited us to a Halloween party at an expat's house in Grecia, a town in the mountains that I've been wanting to visit as I've heard good things about it, it's in the mountains which I want to explore and it's supposedly cooler. :) I was nervous about going as it was our first big outing with Kaylynn, but it ended up beibg a fun party and we made it there / back without getting lost once! Pretty sure that's a first for me. It was 23 miles to get there and took us an hour. It was all twisty roads with huge potholes that were barely wide enough for two cars....and sometimes weren't! Coming home it was pouring and the traffic was crazy. It's a good thing I was driving so I didn't get car sick! Everyone else seemed unaffected as they all fell asleep, even Davie!

Eduardo and Kaylynn while I got our stuff ready to go. They are so cute!!


I didn't end up taking that many pictures at the party, but here's one. There were a lot of people / kids and the hosts had done a great job of having activities, including trick-or-treating at various places throughout the yard. Eduardo loved it! He was nervous at first to go play with the other kids, until he figured out most of them spoke Spanish and English, then he was all over it. :)


After we got back home. Me with my little tiger cub. 


Tiger, exhausted Mommy and Hulk. It was a good day!


I just love this picture. Major milk coma. :)


Seriously Mom?


Repin'. And somebody found her hands this week. The slurping is crazy! :) But also way cute. 


1 comment:

  1. Love all the pictures - makes us feel like we are there! :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete