Thursday, June 25, 2015

Grecia here we come!!!

From my first visit here, Davie and I have wanted a place to call home with a few characteristics: a stand alone house in the mountains. We've daydreamed about it a lot as we've been out and about the past year, commenting on places as we drove by, thinking about what we would want in our next place. Because, while there are some definite pluses to where we are now - awesome pool! helpful neighbors - there are some big dislikes as well and it's never felt like somewhere we would want to be long term. 

With everything crazy in our lives though, I certainly was in no hurry to look for a place to move to. Davie though has liked to browse the listings posted to Facebook and point out ones he found interesting. With school out and the job situation still up in the air, he decided he wanted to actually see some other places. We went to one last week and it was not good. It was a maze! And dark and in the middle of the city basically, which is not something we really want. 

I had thought I convinced him we didn't need to move. We are happy enough here, I was nervous about trying a new place and maybe being miserable. But then he came across another posting and wanted to see it. We had the time, so I set up the appointment. 

Driving to it, I turned to him and said - I'm going to love this house, I can already tell, and it's going to be really far out and we'll have to decide if we want to live that far. 

And that's exactly what happened. 

It's a U.S. style house. Which means it's better construction, has bathtubs vs just showers, U.S. appliances including a U.S. w/d, better inclosed so fewer bugs. It's also one story, so no more worrying about Kaylynn and the stairs - she's decided she can climb them without any help. :P But, probably the best part, it's got a huge backyard with lots of fruit trees already planted and room to start a garden of our own. 

(Most of) The front! It doesn't look like much from here, but it's sure got a lot going for it once you cross the threshold!

Part of the view from the patio. I seriously think it's one of the prettiest places I've ever seen. 

The dining room / kitchen. I love all the wood and the kitchen is amazing!!

The back view. Pretty much everything you see is ours. There are banana trees, a mango tree, a pineapple tree, citrus and other fruit trees and plenty of space to plant more. We're thinking tomatoes, corn, beans, zucchini, peppers and squash to start. The white part of the roof is the solar water heater. 

Is it crazy to move right now? Yes, I really do think so. 

Are we now going to be really pretty far from potential jobs and certain stores? Yes, but if we love where we live, I don't think the drive will seem so bad. It'll be around an hour to get certain places, but I don't think the traffic will be as bad as where we are now. So where here it would take us an hour to go 10 miles, now it'll take us an hour to go 40. Still an hour, but less frustrating, in my opinion, to be constantly driving vs sitting in traffic. And most of the drive is gorgeous. 

Ultimately, I think we'll be happier there and way more comfortable and it shouldn't end up costing us more after a year than if we had stayed here. And, if we hate it, we'll move again in a year. But I really, really feel like this place has the potential to be a place we could grow to love and to call home. 

We'll see what happens! We leave tomorrow morning for Nicaragua and we'll move when we get back. We've got a busy month ahead of us!!! I'm so looking forward to being in our new place!

4 comments:

  1. Love your new place, Melody and Davie. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to visit after you move!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks wonderful! If you stay there long enough, maybe we can come visit and have a place to stay :)

    ReplyDelete