Because I'm in the middle of a baby fever that probably won't be cooled off for quite a while, I spend a lot of time thinking about / searching for baby names instead. I stumbled upon this post while Googling "Nicaraguan baby names" and it's funny how much it helped explain my husband's crazy names.
For those that don't know, Davie's name is actually spelled Deyvi, but he uses the "American" spelling Davie. He also has a sister named Darling. What really cracks me up is his last name (not the last name I took, but his other last name). I've seen it spelled Henrriquez, Enriquez, Enrriquez and Henriquez. And all of those on official government / school records! It's crazy to me!
I wanted to pick a traditional Nicaraguan name for our kids, but now I'm thinking that may be harder to do than I expected! Of course Davie would be happy naming a boy Kevin, but I don't think I'm going to let that happen! :) (Not that there is anything wrong with the name Kevin, it's a good name, but I don't think it goes very well with Maradiaga as the last name. :P)
I can already tell that Davie and I are going to have a hard time agreeing on names when the time comes. It's hard to find a name that sounds right when dealing with two very different cultures and wanting to pay tribute to both. I'm sure we'll get there though. It's just going to take some creativity.....which, based on the post I found, might be more in line with Nicaraguan naming trends that I originally thought.
If nothing else, I can guarantee our kids names will be just like everything else we've done during this relationship - unique and wholly ours. :)
For those that don't know, Davie's name is actually spelled Deyvi, but he uses the "American" spelling Davie. He also has a sister named Darling. What really cracks me up is his last name (not the last name I took, but his other last name). I've seen it spelled Henrriquez, Enriquez, Enrriquez and Henriquez. And all of those on official government / school records! It's crazy to me!
I wanted to pick a traditional Nicaraguan name for our kids, but now I'm thinking that may be harder to do than I expected! Of course Davie would be happy naming a boy Kevin, but I don't think I'm going to let that happen! :) (Not that there is anything wrong with the name Kevin, it's a good name, but I don't think it goes very well with Maradiaga as the last name. :P)
I can already tell that Davie and I are going to have a hard time agreeing on names when the time comes. It's hard to find a name that sounds right when dealing with two very different cultures and wanting to pay tribute to both. I'm sure we'll get there though. It's just going to take some creativity.....which, based on the post I found, might be more in line with Nicaraguan naming trends that I originally thought.
If nothing else, I can guarantee our kids names will be just like everything else we've done during this relationship - unique and wholly ours. :)
Hope I get a vote when the time comes!
ReplyDelete